Friday, September 11, 2009

So close!

Well tomorrow technically is the beginning of my hockey season - the first on ice day of Sabres training camp!

[I do not believe I have actually mentioned this yet - I am a Sabres fan! They are my team - the true loves of my hockey life! Yes I know the title of my blog is from an Ovechkin quote...so maybe I have a few on the side too, we'll get to that in later posts]

Can I just tell you that I love training camp? Everything is new and exciting. Even players that have been around for years, it's interesting to see how they look at the start of each season. I love watching the drills and the scrimmages. I love watching the young guys kill each other in an attempt to make the team. Call me a loser, but I would go every day if I could, it's one of my favorite times of the year. The rookies are already in camp and have been skating since the beginning of the week. I was able to catch some of their scrimmage on Tuesday before class at the Pepsi Center, it definitely got pretty intense at times. I would have seen more this week but the Sabres decided to move them to HSBC Arena [boo!] since the ice was down so unfortunately I can't give a better report.


I can however comment on some of the vets that I have seen recently skating at the Pepsi Center in preparation for camp. A couple thoughts:


Tim Connolly has some sick moves. Yeah yeah I know this is not new, but I feel kind of dirty saying that considering I get sick of these 15 year old kids with Connolly man crushes that tend to sit behind me at games the past few years who just talk about TC's "sick hands" all game. But he has looked pretty good from what I have seen and every time I saw him he looked like he was having a blast. So hopefully he can keep his head up and stay healthy and I don't have to spend all of my future posts complaining about him.


MIKE FREAKING GRIER....I love him. I am so beyond stoked he is back. He looked a little slow out there, but I mean, it's Mike Grier, it is what is it. haha. I am just relieved that we are slowly but surely, finally getting some toughness back into this team. Not to mention this is a guy the players already like and respect so his return should be huge in the locker room.

No comments:

Post a Comment